Requirements for Marriage at Grace
To get married at Grace Community Church or by one of our pastors, we ask that you read and meet the requirements below:
- Our goal is to provide wedding services in the support of a caring community of believers at Grace. Therefore, you or your fiancé(é) must be members or regular attendees of Grace Community Church for at least six months prior to your wedding.
- Both of you must attend the premarital counseling class instructed by one of our pastors or someone they designate. This consists of six to eight weekly sessions.
- We believe that God has laid out a plan in His word for the proper nature of romantic and physical relationships (see 1 Corinthians 6:12-20, 7:1-9; Philippians 2:15; Hebrews 13:4). We believe that a sexual relationship of any kind can only be biblical within a marriage relationship. We also believe that a man and a woman should not live together outside of marriage because it does not give the appearance of being “innocent and blameless” and does not let a couple stand out against the backdrop of a “crooked and twisted” culture (Philippians 2:15). Because we live in a broken world and many different situations present themselves in the context of cohabitation and sexual relationships, we will evaluate each couple on this point on a case-by-case basis.
(Example: Seeking marriage, living together, and sharing children brings more than just cohabitation into the equation when deciding the proper course of action before the wedding. The kids must be considered.)
- If this is a second marriage for either of you, the reason for the first divorce must meet the criteria described on page 4 of the Weddings at Grace packet.
Please notify the church office as soon as possible to:
- Check for building availability (319.626.2040)
- Tentatively reserve the facilities for your wedding
- Register for the next Preparing for a Marriage class
Carefully review the Weddings at Grace Packet. If you are ready to make a commitment to meet the wedding requirements, please request a Wedding Reservation Form from the office.
Complete the Wedding Reservation Form and return it to the office with a $100.00 deposit.
Your tentative facility reservation will be held for a maximum of 30 days until this step is completed.
Wedding ceremonies performed in our building by pastors other than our own must have prior approval of Grace Community Church's leadership.
Once received, your facility reservation will then be moved from pending to confirmed status and you will receive a confirmation letter from our Wedding Coordinator. Though having a confirmed facility reservation, your wedding will be contingent upon your completion of the Wedding Requirements.
Scheduling priority will be given to those first asking for a specific date, and first receiving their confirmation letter. Scheduling exceptions may be made only upon the approval of the church leadership.
Wedding date availability will also be subordinate to the church calendar of events.